Friday, October 21, 2011

Review the DCnU: I, Vampire #1

One of my favorite folkloric mythological characters has always been vampires.  So this is one of the things that peaked my interest in the new on-going by DC.  I have to admit that while I know that the characters are old I had very little prior knowledge of them.  So I could go into the book and not be effected by the take on these characters more easily then some that are fans of the characters from the old House of Mystery.

I, Vampire and all characters
copyrighted by DC Comics
by Joshua Hale Fialkov and Andrea Sorrentino

I, Vampire and all characters
copyrighted by DC Comics
To be honest I really was unsure how this book was going to play out when I saw the announcement for it.  It seems that this day and age you can't turn into any form of media rather it be movies, television shows, or books without running into some sort of form of Vampires.  So it comes as no surprise that DC has decided to go that route by resurrecting an old book with hopes of capitalizing on some of those fans of the genre with the relaunched DCU.

Fialkov has created a very fascinating and very frightening world here.  One that can almost completely mesmerize the reader as the story plays out.  This book is a dark tale of the romance between a vampire hunter and vampire queen.  The twist of course being that the vampire hunter is an actual vampire himself here. To top that off he is actually the maker of the vampire queen making this all the more tragic as he feels solely responsible for the horror and havoc she has unleashed upon the world. 

I, Vampire and all characters
copyrighted by DC Comics
The story goes back and forth between two separate intertwining tales.   In one we see Andrew the vampire turned vampire hunter slaying vampires in modern times while the other tale shows us Andrew and Mary, the queen of the vampires, as the discuss their very different looks at their undead lives and brethren. 

I, Vampire and all characters
copyrighted by DC Comics
All of this sets in motion so that the reader learns both what is currently happening as well as the events that set in motion to the two former lovers turning into enemies. Mary revels in what she has become, loving the power and holds a strong belief that they should rule the earth.  While Andrew is regretful that he has damned her and turned her into an evil creature. 

I, Vampire and all characters
copyrighted by DC Comics

This first issue does a great job at establishing the characters as well as presented an incredibly good story here.  One of my favorite parts though was Andrew himself asking Mary how they are to succeed in conquering the world when they live in a world full of caped superheroes.  It established that they are in the same universe while at the same time that the are dealing with a far more darker part of it. 

The artwork of Sorrentino is beyond amazing here.  It easily established the dark tone of this world and very great detail displays the horrors that unfold.


I, Vampire and all characters
copyrighted by DC Comics
This is easily one of the best books of the DCU and probably one that will fall well below most people's radars.

GRADE OF NEW TITLE: This was a solid book in every aspect, easily garnering an A from me for its fantastic storytelling as well as its brilliant artwork.  This is one of those books that are so good that its a shame that it most likely was not picked up by many in the comic world.

I, Vampire and all characters
copyrighted by DC Comics
WILL IT SUCCEED: While I understand that DC is playing their part using the rebooted DC Universe to start a book in hopes of capturing the vampire fans, I am not sure how many people are actually going to be picking this book up.  Andrew says it best himself, "What chance do vampires have in a world full of Supermen, Wonder Women and Green Lanterns."  What chance indeed.

SHOULD IT SUCCEED: This book was simply stunning and I really hope that it succeeds.  I just don't think that the DC fans though are the ones that will be picking up this book and I don't think that the book will draw in enough new readers to DC to sustain the numbers worth the book sticking around.  And that is indeed a real shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment