Monday, October 17, 2011

Review the DCnU: The Savage Hawkman #1

Hawkman has always been a character that I have followed.  His latest run as a member of the JSA had really made me like the character even more.  I was glad to see that he was going to be getting his own book as part of the rebooted DC Universe.  Hawkman is one of those characters that despite not always getting the opportunity is more then capable of holding his own title.

Hawkman and all characters
copyrighted by DC Comics
by Tony S. Daniel and Philip Tan

Hawkman and all characters
copyrighted by DC Comics
 Daniel starts the book off pretty quickly and efficiently.  Here you can tell that Carter Hall is wanting to be done with Hawkman but unfortunately things that are out of his control are not going to let that happen. Hawkman is a character that already has multiple origin stories and it appears we are going to be getting another one here as well.

The book was pretty action packed and even in the slower parts managed to keep my  attention rather easily.  Daniel makes a pretty good start to the story.  I would have liked to seen more about where Carter got his powers from, especially because Daniel seems to be taking the character in  totally different direction then what we are used to.

Hawkman and all characters
copyrighted by DC Comics
The best part of this book though is the stunning artwork done by Philip Tan.  The book at times almost feels like you are watching a movie unfold before your eyes rather then reading a comic.  His art is that good throughout the book. Tan's attention to detail and unique visual style is what makes this book shine.

The book was a good read but I think that we need to learn more about Hawkman's past here to better understand what all is going on here.  Something that hopefully will be explored more in future issues.

Hawkman and all characters
copyrighted by DC Comics

While I enjoyed the book I could see how new readers and people that have not been introduces to the character before could become lost.  Heck I'm a long time fan and I am not entirely sure what is happening to Hawkman here with his powers.  I think that Daniel maybe should spent some more time here catching us up to on why exactly Carter Hall is burnt out being Hawkman, how he became Hawkman, and more importantly what is up with his powers here.

Hawkman and all characters
copyrighted by DC Comics
GRADE OF NEW TITLE: The artwork was the definite highlight of this book.  While the story was fast paced and attention grabbing there are several different places that Daniel really dropped the ball here.  He really didn't tell us anything about this Hawkman character and left me feeling more lost then intrigued to pick up the next book.  Daniel didn't do enough to want people to keep following the book and that's a real shame being how great everything else in the book was.  I have to give it a B- simply because of that fact.


Hawkman and all characters
copyrighted by DC Comics
WILL IT SUCCEED: I want this book to succeed and I think it can once the readers know more about who Carter Hall is in the new DCU.  But until that happens I have a feeling that despite the great artwork and compelling action scenes the book is going to lose readers that will be left feeling lost here.

SHOULD IT SUCCEED: I think that if Daniel give us some more backstory, something that I am sure he plans to, that the book is going to be great.  I am willing to pick up a few more issues and give this book a little more time before I say rather or not I think this book is on the right track or not.  But as far as a first issue I think Daniel really missed out on a great opportunity to get more people interesting in reading about Hawkman.

No comments:

Post a Comment